Tuesday, September 20, 2011

{Cupcake Spy} Albuquerque, NM

Good Afternoon {Cupcake Spies}! Today we're headed to New Mexico to taste cupcakes with Aimee Porter of Menus and Meals for Moms. The cupcakes look so good, and I love that Aimee did both locations for "research purposes." Thanks, Aimee!

Hi, this is Aimee Porter with Menus and Meals for Moms where I share weekly menus and meal ideas to help make getting a family dinner on the table easier.  My real passion in the kitchen is baking, so I was thrilled when asked to participate as a Cupcake Spy for Two Sugar Babies.


I live in Rio Rancho, NM, between Albuquerque and Santa Fe and decided to visit Cake Fetish cupcakes for my post.  Cake Fetish is a multi-year winner of the "Best of Albuquerque" awards for cupcakes.  The shop has two locations: one in Uptown and one on the Westside.  For research purposes, I decided to visit both locations.  I went on two different days so that I could sample a variety of daily specials.  Cake Fetish has twelve standard flavors every day and an additional four specialty flavors that vary daily.

Cupcake Van! All photos property of Aimee Porter and Two Sugar Babies



 On my first stop, I visited the Westside location (Montano Plaza on Coors Boulevard) a purchased a dozen cupcakes.  Among the picks were: Cherry Limeade, Joy Ride, Grasshopper, Half Baked, Pucker Up, and Sleepless in Albuquerque.  I had a few willing taste testers to help me out.  All of the cupcakes were delicious and moist.  My personal favorites were Cherry Limeade and Joy Ride.  Cherry Limeade is a vanilla cupcake with chopped cherries and topped with a cherry-limebuttercream frosting.  Joy Ride was divine!  I am not particularly a chocolate fan, but this could make me cross over.  Joy Ride is a chocolate cupcake with coconutbuttercream dipped in chocolate ganache rolled in coconut and topped with an almond.  So good!



On my second visit, I got six cupcakes for additional research purposes.  I visited the Uptown location (one block north of Menaul Street on Louisiana Boulevard) at noon on a Friday.  Cake Fetish was packed with locals getting their lunchtime cupcake fix.  I sampled three of the daily specials: Margarita Madness, Pineapple Express, and Santa Fe Chocolate.  Once again, the chocolate cupcake proved to be the favorite for this non-chocolate lover.  The Santa Fe Chocolate sticks true to the Southwest and features chocolate cake dipped in chocolate ganache and covered in a chocolate red chile buttercream.  This was one of the most complex tasting cupcakes I have ever encountered.

Margarita Madness

Pineapple Express

Santa Fe Chocolate

You cannot go wrong stopping by either Cake Fetish location if you need a sweet fix on your next visit to the High Desert of New Mexico.

No comments:

Post a Comment