Thursday, June 30, 2011

{DIY} Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams--Sweet Corn and Blackberry

For those of you that don't know already, I'm officially OBSESSED with Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams, based in Columbus, Ohio. I went to a seminar (you know, for that other job I have) and had to go to "this amazing ice cream" place that everyone was talking about. I have never tasted anything so awesome in my life. They use all fresh, local (when possible), seasonal ingredients, and their flavors range from simple (Black Coffee, Lemon Yogurt) to sort-of complex (Salty Caramel, Bourbon Buttered Pecan) to the more exotic (Riesling Poached Pear Sorbet, Wildberry Lavender, Corn Syrup Custard with Whiskey and Pecans). But there's nothing "simple" about even the most generic flavor...it's like nothing I've ever tasted. Seriously, I told you I'm obsessed.

Photo credit: Serious Eats

If you didn't hear the cheering from my corner of Pennsylvania, you might not know that Jeni's just released a new cookbook! And of course, I had it the day it came out. I have been trying to decide which flavor to make, and I've finally decided: Sweet Corn and Blackberry.

Photo credit: my plate my world

It is officially my weekend project (I'm calling it a "project" because it requires more ingredients/steps than a traditional ice cream recipe). Stay tuned to hear the official review and hopefully I'll satisfy my taste buds before I get to head back to Columbus in July. Oh wait, I can order it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment